What foods do you usually consume when dieting?
Usually, the typical food chosen when going on a diet is of course fruits and vegetables.
Fruits and vegetables have a high fiber content, so that in addition to being able to reduce fat in the body. Fruits and vegetables can also make the body feel full longer.
However, did you know that in addition to fruit and vegetables, potatoes as a source of carbohydrates are also a food that is quite effective in supporting the diet?
Curious how to use potatoes for the diet? Let’s look at the explanation below!
The nutritional content of potatoes can support the diet
Potatoes are a type of tuber that has a lot of carbohydrate content. Although often processed into vegetables or side dishes, in fact potatoes are one of the staple food alternatives.
Potatoes and processed products from potatoes, usually actually avoided when dieting. This is because potatoes provide a high energy intake.
Though a study states that consumption of 2 servings of potatoes a day does not affect weight gain, as long as it is processed in the right way.
Potatoes have the advantage of supporting a diet, because potatoes can:
- Suppress appetite, this is due to the fiber content in potatoes can give a sense of fullness to the body so that appetite can be suppressed.
- Smooth digestion metabolism, fiber content in potatoes smooth digestion, this indirectly supports weight loss because the remaining substances in the body can be removed to the maximum.
- Provide a healthy energy intake for the body. The B vitamin content, especially vitamin B6, which is high in potatoes supports the breakdown of energy reserves in the form of fats and carbohydrates quite well. This will indirectly also support a weight loss diet.
4 Ways to Use Potatoes for Diet
So, how to use potatoes for the diet? Here are some ways you can do to diet:
1. Using potatoes as a staple food
Prioritizing using potatoes to replace staple foods, not as a snack.
Use potatoes instead of rice, usually the portion of potatoes will be greater to be able to replace the same carbohydrate content with rice.
This is very beneficial because you can feel quite full, but not as much carbohydrate intake in the body when consuming rice.
You need to eat 2-3 potatoes size 75-80 grams to get the carbohydrate content which is equivalent to 1 scoop of rice. The portion of the potato is certainly quite filling, right?
2. Consuming potatoes with a low-fat cooking method
So that the benefits and nutritional content of potatoes are maintained, avoid frying potatoes, frying with flour, or cooking potatoes with coconut milk.
There are enough cooking methods that you can use to process potatoes, including:
- Baked Potatoes
- Boiled potato
- Steamed Potatoes
All of which you can add super delicious spices that are not high in calories, such as pepper or onion powder.
3. Do not peel the potato skin
Eating potatoes with the skin, in addition to making the nutrition more awake, will make the fiber content in the potatoes remain complete.
So, after washing the potatoes clean, try to keep using the potato skin when processing it.
4. Consumption of potatoes with other high-fiber foods
To support the diet, serve potatoes with other high-fiber foods.
Choose potatoes as a staple, then serve them with vegetables high in fiber, such as asparagus, broccoli, or high-fiber side dishes, such as grilled tofu with herbs.
Do not forget to complete the food offerings with fruit or high-fiber fruit juices, for example from apples or guava.